[Lingtyp] Epistemic possibility plus affective evaluation?

tiritiri trauntraun hernaitz at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 20 13:08:16 UTC 2020

In Castilian Spanish (and probably in other varieties of Spanish) “a lo mejor” does not necessarily imply a positive connotation. See for example:

“En Brasil a lo mejor mueren cien personas, aquí tres o cuatro”
(While) in Brazil a hundred people may die, here it would be three or four.

This is an extract of an interview about geology and natural disasters, without any animosity against Brazil…[Ferrer, M. (1995). Reducción de Riesgos Geológicos en España, p.178]

Best,
Rodrigo

Dr Rodrigo Hernáiz Gómez

Lecturer in Languages and Linguistics

School of Languages and Applied Linguistics

The Open University