[Lingtyp] Numeral 'one' and 'as soon as'

Timur Maisak timur.maisak at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 08:47:23 UTC 2021

Dear all,
although I see that the scope of the original query has been narrowed,
still, just to give a more exotic example than SAE:

Among the specialized converbs of Agul (Lezgic, Nakh-Daghestanian), there
is an idiomatic combination consisting of the perfective participle (in the
nominalized, abs.sg form) plus the additive enclitic =*ra* 'and, also,
even' plus the numeral 'one' (in the nominalized, abs.sg form). The
combibation means 'immediately after, as soon as', e.g. *aq'u-f=ra sa-d*
[do.pfv(ptcp)-nmlz=add one-nmlz] 'as soon as s/he did'.

In principle, this *=ra sa-d* sequence can be already glossed simply as a
single marker, i.e. *aq'u-f-rasad* [do.pfv(ptcp)-nmlz-as.soon.as].

I am not aware of similar structures in closely related Lezgic languages,
by the way.

Best,
Timur Maisak
(Moscow)