[Lingtyp] Discourse connectives that do not occur at clause edges

Alex Francois alex.francois.cnrs at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 10:41:04 UTC 2021

dear Ponrawee, dear all,

A note about Greek particles:

>  *As far as I know Wackernagel position is determined phonologically.*

Classical Greek indeed has many discourse particles that occur in
Wackernagel's position, i.e. immediately after the first word  (or
sometimes, after the first constituent).

However, only a subset of them are *clitics* strictly speaking:

τε 'and' (PIE *=kʷe),
γε 'at least',
νυ 'now',
τοι 'really',
που 'somehow',
πως 'in a way'...

In Classical Greek, clitics are defined by the absence of any inherent
accent, and thus the lack of prosodic autonomy; so indeed, these forms need
to "lean on" (κλίνω) the previous word to exist phonologically.  For those
words, it could even be argued (as Daniel pointed out) that their syntactic
position is really clause-initial, except they must occur in 2P for purely
phonological reasons.

However, many discourse particles appear in the same Wackernagel's
position, even though they bear their own accent:

δέ 'and also';  μέν ... δέ 'on the one hand..., on the other hand';  δή
'truly';  γάρ 'indeed';  οὖν 'therefore'; γοῦν 'at least then'...

[ NB: It is not rare to have whole strings of those P2 particles:
  e.g. Plato has :  Δοκεῖ *γε δή*. / Πάνυ *μὲν οὖν */ πολλάκις *μέν γε δή*
 /... ]

Those accent-bearing forms are not considered clitics, at least not in the
philological tradition, because their prosodic features do not depend on
the previous word.
Their systematic position as the second word therefore cannot be explained
just by phonological constraints:  one has to posit a special slot in the
clause, which is precisely what Wackernagel's position is.  That slot,
reserved to discourse particles and linkers, accommodates clitics as well
as non-clitics; rather than being purely determined by phonology, that slot
is thus of a syntactic nature.

Perhaps this makes Wackernagel's position relevant to Ponrawee's query?

best
Alex
------------------------------

Alex François