[Lingtyp] Double marking of the goal argument

Farhad Moezzipour fmp59i at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 22:29:21 UTC 2021

Dear Prof. Nikolaeva and Bohnemeyer (and the other members)

Yes, you are absolutely correct. RA has been said to serve different
functions when it appears on direct objects and dislocated NPs. In the
given *TA-RA* example (example 1 in my previous email), the referent of
*xune* ‘house’, I assume, should be ‘identifiable’ for the hearer; hence a
topic in the information structure of the sentence. It might be the case
that in example (2) where *xune *‘house’ appears without RA, it plays a
focus role as it is an argument-adjunct (using RRG terminology), bearing in
mind adjuncts express foci (If I am correct). But this is pragmatics! I
believe, as Prof. Bohnemeyer mentioned, that RA in example (1) contributes
somehow to the semantics of the sentence in a way that it
signals/indicates/marks (I am not sure) the bounded path, which is missing
in example (2). The relation of RA with boundedness can be supported by the
fact that it appears on quantized direct objects of consumption verbs, as
in (3).

(3) *Man sib=o              xord-æm*.

      1SG   apple=POSP eat.PST-1SG

      ‘I ate the (whole) apple.’

Intuitively, example (4) is infelicitous because RA entails the entire
traversal of the path.

(4) **mæn kuh=o                     bala ræft-am       væli be qolle-e**š
          næ-res-id-æm.*

       1SG  mountain=POSP up  go.PST-1SG but to summit=3SG NEG-reach-PST-1SG

      ‘I climbed the mountain but did not reach the summit.’

Regards,

Farhad