[Lingtyp] Inherently toneless morphemes in tone languages

Randy LaPolla randy.lapolla at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 13:24:57 UTC 2021

I can second Kristine’s comment, and just mention it isn’t only final syllables, but also the initial syllable in many languages with iambic prosody and frequent sesquisyllabic structure, e.g. Rvwáng, a language of northern Myanmar, where the v represents a reduced toneless vowel.

Randy

Sent from my phone