[Lingtyp] To include xenophones or not

Michael Fiddler mfiddler at ucsb.edu
Thu Dec 2 18:47:57 UTC 2021

I have to say, though that no one would consider [ʒ] to be a xenophone in
English, as it definitely restructured the English phonological system. No
one thinks of it as foreign except linguists in the know :-)!

Yes, absolutely! I was just thinking in terms of Ian's (maybe casual)
definition of xenophone as "phonemes that are only present in loanwords."
If the sound's perception as foreign by non-linguist native speakers is a
crucial part of the concept, that would definitely narrow the focus and
avoid excluding sounds we would obviously want to include.