[Lingtyp] Clauses without any overt predicative content (and negation)

Mark Donohue mhdonohue at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 01:19:44 UTC 2021

Why do we think there's no predicative content here?
Isn't *bado*, or *awo*, a predicate here?

This sort of thing is very common in many aspect-dominated languages.
An Indonesian conversation is frequently, depending on which variety you're
speaking, full of one word sentences of the form *sudah* (which translates
'already', and much else besides).

-Mark