[Lingtyp] odd clitic behaviours

Arnold M. Zwicky zwicky at stanford.edu
Mon Dec 6 14:06:28 UTC 2021

I realize that this paper is now antique, but I continue to cling to its main claim, that CLITIC is merely an umbrella term and that (with the possible exception of two special cases, quite different from one another, and deserving technical terms of their own) the phenomena customarily referred to by that name do not constitute a single entity of theoretical interest:

AMZ, “What is a clitic?” (in Nevis, Joseph, Wanner, & Zwicky, Clitics Bibliography, 1995).
http://www.stanford.edu/~zwicky/what-is-a-clitic.pdf

arnold