[Lingtyp] odd clitic behaviours

Martin Haspelmath martin_haspelmath at eva.mpg.de
Mon Dec 6 14:25:31 UTC 2021

Yes, Zwicky's 1994 idea that "clitic" is an "umbrella term" was adopted
by Spencer & Luís (2012) – but this is not a CLAIM.

If the question is how to use a term, we make *terminological choices* –
and my proposal was to make the choice that a clitic is defined as "a
non-affix non-root bound form". This would give the term "clitic" a
precise meaning (as a general-typological concept).

[Please note that I forgot the condition "non-root" in the earlier
message; thanks to Chao Li for reminding me of this.]

The advantage of this would be that textbooks could explain this term in
this succinct way, and if one wants to know whether a Quechua element is
a clitic (in this comparative sense), then one could simply check
whether it is bound or free (i.e. occurs on its own), and whether it is
promiscuous.

Vladimir Panov is quite right, of course, that there is something
unintuitive about this definition, because Hebrew prepositions end up as
prefixes (because nominals always begin with a noun), while English
prepositions end up as clitics (because nominals may begin with a
determiner, an adjective or a noun). And Riccardo Giomi is quite right
that it is unintuitive to say that Italian diminutive /-icchi-/ is a
clitic just because it can occur both on nouns and on verbs and is thus
promiscuous.

But this is as it should be, because our "intuitions" about clitics can
have no direct role in our science. We need clear terms, and clear
claims, and reproducible methods for testing our claims – intuitions are
often based on traditional stereotypes and can be left to wither away.

Best,
Martin

--
Martin Haspelmath