[Lingtyp] "clitics": recent historical origins

Jess Tauber tetrahedralpt at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 15:15:45 UTC 2021

Form versus function. Vertebrate wings, fins manipulate fluid vortices to
generate thrust, and generally operate in the same fashion, moving in a
figure-8 while rotating the 'tilt' of the effector. This alters the
pressure profile around the effector, and movement of the body then
re-equilibrates it. There are a number of different types of eyes that have
evolved, but they all seem to have originated in small eyespots that one
sees, for example, in planaria. Poor at generating images, but sometimes
can gauge distances, as well as help orient the body in space. Same with
balance organs. Jellyfish domes have spherical mineralized concretions in a
cupola at the tops of their domes, with a jelly-like matrix surrounding
them with nerve receptors coming out of the walls into the matrix. When the
animal moves 'off-axis' (that is, the body's symmetry axis) you get
positive pressure on one side of the cupola and negative on the other, and
the animal uses this to orient. Our semicircular canals in our inner ear
complex operate pretty much identically. But biophysics and biomechanics
canalize new structures towards common solutions. There are many roads to
Rome.

Jess Tauber

Virus-free.
www.avg.com