[Lingtyp] "clitics": recent historical origins

fcosw5 fcosw5 at scu.edu.tw
Fri Dec 10 04:39:13 UTC 2021

David suggests, 'as conscientious scientists we ought to be able to divorce our technical analyses from our everyday experiences and reflections; but in practice there seems to be seepage.'

It may be worth pointing out that, unlike physics, linguistics is a science about specifically human activities (I've always tended to regard linguistics as to some extent a branch of anthropology).  That being the case, I would suggest that with regard to linguistics, such a 'divorce' as David suggests may be *impossible*.

Best,
Steven