[Lingtyp] "Double reflexive" constructions

Alex Francois alex.francois.cnrs at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 12:04:31 UTC 2021

Dear Riccardo,

In Mwotlap (an Oceanic language of Vanuatu), the reflexive/reciprocal is
usually unmarked:  such interpretations are usually simply inferred from
the co-reference between the agent and the patient [e.g. “I saw me”].

With a 3rd non-singular pronoun (dual, trial or plural), there is an
ambiguity between
(a) a simple transitive clause with distinct referents for agent & patient
(b) a reflexive interpretation
(c) a reciprocal interpretation

Thus ex (1) has three interpretations:
1) *Kōyō*  mu-wuh   mat    *kōyō*.
  3du   PFT-hit  dead  3du
   a/ “They killed them.”   [2 people killed 2 other people, total 4
participants]
   b/ “They killed themselves.”  [2 people committing suicide]
   c/ “They killed each other.”

Now, Mwotlap also has a reversive ('refactive'?) postverb *lok* 'back,
again':
2)  Nok  so        m̄ōl        *lok     *    l-ēm̄.
    1sg Prosp  return  REVERS  Loc-house
   “Let me go *back* home.”

3)  Vap   *lok *       se!
    say  REVERS  also
   “Say it *again*!”

If you use that reversive *lok*  in a sentence like (1) above, you
disambiguate its meaning by ruling out interpretations (a) and (c);
essentially you're left with an interpretation as a reflexive:

4) *Kōyō*  mu-wuh   mat    *lok*        *kōyō*.
    3du   PFT-hit  dead  REVERS 3du
  ? *a/ “They killed them.”   [2 people killed 2 other people, total 4
participants]*
   b/ “They killed themselves.”  [2 people committing suicide]
  ? *a/ “They killed each other.”  *

This seems to be the sort of structure you were looking for.
____
Reference: See page 372 of my dissertation:

   - François, Alexandre. 2001.
   *Contraintes de structures et liberté dans l'organisation du discours:
   Une description du mwotlap, langue océanienne du Vanuatu
   <http://alex.francois.online.fr/AFpub_books_e.htm#01>*.
   Doctoral dissertation in Linguistics, Université Paris-IV Sorbonne. 1078
   pp.

best,
Alex

Alex François