[Lingtyp] Grammatical marking of insults (?)

Johanna Laakso johanna.laakso at univie.ac.at
Tue Dec 14 19:33:30 UTC 2021

Dear Riccardo, dear all,

Finnish has a parallel to the Portuguese example:

pää 		kiinni, 	se-n-kin 		pässi!
head	closed	it-GEN-FOC.P	oaf
‘Shut up, you idiot!’

Senkin, genitive form of the demonstrative/anaphoric pronoun se plus the focus particle -kin, often translatable with ‘also, too, even’, seems to be lexicalized specifically as an insult marker (beside its regular use, as in hän osti senkin auton ‘s/he bought even that car as well’). It has always seemed obvious to me that se here is originally an euphemistic placeholder for a stronger negative affect word (cf. saatana-n pässi lit. “Satan's oaf”), but I don't know if anyone has really researched this. (For the role of -kin here, I would check Lauri Carlson’s 1993 article "Dialogue games with Finnish clitcs", appeared in SKY Yearbook of the Linguistic Association of Finland 6 (1993), or Aarne Ranta's article in https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-3-642-30773-7_14 , but neither of them seems to be publicly accessible and I'm not sure whether they have specifically dealt with senkin.)

Best
Johanna Laakso