[Lingtyp] Grammatical marking of insults (?)

Françoise Rose francoise.rose at univ-lyon2.fr
Wed Dec 15 11:04:29 UTC 2021

Dear Ricardo,
in Mojeño Trinitario (Arawak), insults are generally expressed though descriptive terms (“s/he-has-white-eyes”, “big-belly” to cite politically correct ones) which are often V-N or Adj-N compounds, used metonymically. They are used vocatively, i.e. without any determiner.
In my corpus, it seems all insults are of this type, but neither the types of compounds nor the vocative construction are dedicated to insults.
There is also a deprecatory suffix, with can be used in vocative constructions, but can also be used on referential expressions, so once again, it is not dedicated.
Because these are not dedicated forms for insults, I am not sure these data fall within the interest of your student. She is welcome to consult me if interested!
Best,
Françoise

Françoise ROSE
Directrice de Recherche 2ème classe, CNRS
Laboratoire Dynamique Du Langage (CNRS/Université Lyon2)
16 avenue Berthelot
69007 Lyon
FRANCE
(33)4 72 72 64 63