[Lingtyp] “at last” and “only now”

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Wed Feb 24 21:39:33 UTC 2021

Dear Alex (and all),

Just to confirm that all of Alex's examples of the prioritive in Mwotlap
and Bislama work also with Indonesian /dulu/ (including even its
first-person usage in polite leave-taking).  I share Alex's awe at the
resilience of the pattern, as manifest not only in its horizontal
diffusion from the Austronesian languages of Vanuatu to Bislama, but
also in its apparent genealogical conservativity as suggested by its
presence in relatively distantly related Austronesian languages such as
Mwotlap and Indonesian.

An interesting question for Austronesianists would be exactly how wide
the distribution of the priorative is.  My impression is that in
Tagalog, the various subfunctions of the prioritive listed below are
divvied up among two or more different forms.

David

Email: gil at shh.mpg.de