[Lingtyp] Attributive temporal clauses without temporal nouns

Jesus Francisco Olguin Martinez olguinmartinez at ucsb.edu
Thu Feb 25 04:17:42 UTC 2021

Dear all,

I hope this email finds you well.

I am currently writing my dissertation on temporal adverbial clauses in the
languages of the world.

As you know, many languages express temporal adverbial relations (e.g.
*when*-relations, *while*-relations) by means of constructions that appear
with temporal nouns (e.g. 'time' 'day', 'year'; e.g. 'the time they
arrived, they sat down'; Thompson et al 2007; Hetterle 2015;
Diessel 2019; Olguín Martínez 2020).

As discussed by Diessel (2019: 106), in some languages the temporal noun
can be omitted resulting in constructions such as the following:

1.  At (the time) you came, I saw you.
2. (the time) that you came, I saw you.

In the sample of my dissertation, I came across 56 languages not
genetically related that seem to use this type of construction, as a
primary strategy, to express various semantic types of adverbial clauses.
The most common patterns I have found in the sample are the following:

3. LOCATIVE (temporal noun) RELATIVIZER/RELATIVE PRONOUN.
4. LOCATIVE (temporal noun).
5. (temporal noun) RELATIVIZER/RELATIVE PRONOUN.
6. DEMONSTRATIVE (temporal noun).

Are you aware of any studies that have addressed this phenomenon? Are you
aware of any languages that express temporal adverbial relations by means
of this type of construction?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,

--