[Lingtyp] Attributive temporal clauses without temporal nouns

Alexander Coupe ARCoupe at ntu.edu.sg
Sun Feb 28 05:04:01 UTC 2021

Dear Jesús,

Mongsen Ao, a Tibeto-Burman language of Nagaland, NE India, lacks a lexical exponent for encoding temporal antecedence and instead uses a negated form of sequential or locative converb to express this meaning. I discuss and present some examples on pp. 447-448 of Coupe, A.R. 2007. A grammar of Mongsen Ao. Berlin/New York: Mouton de Gruyter. The expression of temporal meanings usually involves converb constructions in clause-chaining TB languages spoken in this region of India.

Best,
Alec
--
Assoc. Prof. Alexander R. Coupe, Ph.D. | School of Humanities | Nanyang Technological University
03-56, SHHK Building