[Lingtyp] New name for "Mainland Northeast Asia"

Martin Haspelmath martin_haspelmath at eva.mpg.de
Mon Jan 4 15:43:46 UTC 2021

It seems that the problem of identifying areal phenomena in an objective
way is a really hard one. It is indeed very easy to be misled by
appearances.

I remember a talk by Östen Dahl around 2003 when he presented a
WALS-like map with two feature values and asked the audience to look for
areal patterns – of which there was no shortage (low-level ones). Then
came the surprise: The map that he presented was generated by a random
process.

Back in 1998/2001, I identified a number of "Standard Average European
<https://zenodo.org/record/1236769>" areal features, but I didn't try to
make sure that these were not random coincidences. Out of thousands of
possible areal features, 12-15 that cluster in Europe is perhaps not all
that much. It seems that we would need to start in a radically bottom-up
manner, using a representative set of features, and examine them all for
a large number of languages. (Ian Joo seems to be planning something of
this sort.)

But what is a "representative set of grammatical features"? Nobody seems
to have an idea of how to achieve objective representativeness.

The only quantitative approach to the problem that I have come across is
this paper:

Daumé III, Hal. 2009. Non-Parametric Bayesian Areal Linguistics.
/arXiv:0906.5114 [cs]/. (http://arxiv.org/abs/0906.5114
<http://arxiv.org/abs/0906.5114>)

Best wishes, and Happy New Year,
Martin