[Lingtyp] Abralin talk on the history of typology (by James McElvenny)

Martin Haspelmath martin_haspelmath at eva.mpg.de
Wed Jan 13 19:04:56 UTC 2021

Dear typologists,

Many of you may well be interested in this fascinating talk by James
McElvenny on Georg von der Gabelentz and the earlier history of typology:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNsNV1AQD-8&t

Highly recommended! Many people know Gabelentz from ALT's Gabelentz
Award, and some may have heard that he was the first to use the term
"typology" (in 1894), in a fascinating article that also mentions the
idea of expert-based comparative methodology, as well as statistical
correlations.

McElvenny does not glorify Gabelentz, and also puts him in the context
of racist physical anthropology and Galton's eugenics, which were very
fashionable in the days before Boas.

(One new thing that I learned from the talk is that Friedrich von
Schlegel (1808) actually used my preferred term "comparative grammar",
so it also has a very respectable pedigree.)

Best,
Martin

P.S. I should also mention that McElvenny is series editor of a LangSci
series on the history of linguistics
(https://langsci-press.org/catalog/series/hpls), and co-editor of the
LangSci edition of Gabelentz's famous book "Die Sprachwissenschaft"
(1891/1901): https://langsci-press.org/catalog/book/97

--
Martin Haspelmath
Deutscher Platz 6