[Lingtyp] Abralin talk on the history of typology (by James McElvenny)

Uni KN frans.plank at uni-konstanz.de
Thu Jan 14 15:55:54 UTC 2021

Concerning Martin’s posting on the history of linguistics in general and Georg von der Gabelentz’s contribution to typology in particular:

I was bowled over when the talk that Martin alerted us to yesterday stated, at its outset, that a 1991 paper of mine on the same subject as that talk is, sadly, “the classic paper in the vein of" looking at Gabelentz’s contribution to typology as a mere "historical curiosity”, while the present talk itself, at long last, would seriously “exhume” Gabelentz and thereby open a "window on [linguistics at] the time” when Gabelentz was operating.

I've never heard of anybody reading my “classic" hypology/typology paper, or my other work on early typology, like that speaker did.  On the evidence of his talk this slur might well be the only original contribution of his own to throwing open windows on Gabelentz and on typology and its history.

Come to think of it, I once DID some curio flogging concerning Gabelentz on this very list.  I re-attach this piece along with the 1991 paper, to assist less discerning historians of our field and their thrilled audience in recognising the difference.

Frans