[Lingtyp] Grammatcalization of 'road/way/path'.

Anna Bugaeva bugaeva at japan.email.ne.jp
Sat Jan 16 07:21:26 UTC 2021

Dear Dmitri,

There is a noun ru ‘trace, track, footprint, road, path’ in Ainu, which is grammaticalized in its possessive form ru-w-e (trace-EP-POSS) ‘the trace of’ as a marker of inferential evidentiality.

Bugaeva, Anna. 2013. Mermaid construction in Ainu In: Tsunoda Tasaku (ed.) Adnominal clauses and the ‘Mermaid Construction’: grammaticalization of nouns (NINJAL Collaborative Research Project Reports 13-01). Tokyo: National Institute for Japanese Language and Linguistics, 667-677.

Bugaeva, Anna. 2017. Noun-modifying clause constructions in Ainu. In: Matsumoto, Yoshiko, Comrie, Bernard & Sells, Peter. Noun-Modifying Clause Constructions in Languages of Eurasia: Reshaping theoretical and geographical boundaries. Amsterdam, Philadelphia: John Benjamins, 203-250.

I gloss it as ru-w-e (trace-EP-POSS) ‘the trace of’ or INF.EV in my papers, but the original word also has the meaning ‘road, path’.

Best wishes,

Anna