[Lingtyp] Grammatcalization of 'road/way/path'.

TasakuTsunoda tasakutsunoda at nifty.com
Mon Jan 18 02:40:18 UTC 2021

送信元: TasakuTsunoda <tasakutsunoda at nifty.com>
日付: 2021年1月16日土曜日 11:35
宛先: Dmitri Sitchinava <mitrius at gmail.com>, <LINGTYP at listserv.linguistlist.org>, TasakuTsunoda <tasakutsunoda at nifty.com>
件名: Re: [Lingtyp] Grammatcalization of 'road/way/path'.

Dear Colleague,

    Korean provides interesting examples. Please see the following work.

Kim, Joungmin. 2020. Korean. In Tasaku Tsunoda (ed.), Mermaid construction: A compound-predicate construction with biclausal appearance, 283–331. Berlin & Boston: De Gruyter Mouton.

    There are two nouns that are relevant.

    [1] Kil means ‘road, path, ways, means’ (Kim 2020: 302). On p. 284, Kim gives the following example.

(5)     [Na=nun         unhayng=ey                 ka-nun]

          I=TOP            bank=DAT/LOC          go-ADN.NPST

         kil=i-ta.

         road=COP-DECL

         LT: ‘[I go to the bank] the road is.’

         FT: ‘I am on my way to the bank.’

(5) is an instance of the mermaid construction. Ka-nun kil=i-ta can be regarded as a compound predicate (“Verb Noun Copula”) (see Kim 2020: 328), and in this compound predicate the noun “kil encodes an aspectual meaning: progressive” (Kim 2020: 302).

    [2] Phyen “means ‘side, part, direction, way’” (Kim 2020: 304). On p. 304, Kim gives the following example.

(73)     [Chinkwu=nun          achim=ey                          ilccik

           friend=TOP               morning=DAT/LOC          early

           ilena-nun]                       phyen=i-ta.

           get.up-ADN.NPST         side=COP-DECL

           ‘(My) friend has a habit of getting up early in the morning.’

(73), too, is an instance of the mermaid construction. Ilena-nun phyen=i-ta can be regarded as a compound predicate (“Verb Noun Copula”) (see Kim 2020: 328), and in this compound predicate the noun “phyen describes tendency, habit or attitude” (Kim 2020: 304).

    In many instances of the mermaid construction of Korean and other languages, the noun in the compound predicate (“Verb Noun Copula”) functions as a marker for a modal meaning, an evidential meaning, an aspectual meaning (e.g. (5) and (73) of Korean), a temporal meaning, a stylistic effect or a discourse-related meaning. Please see pp. 13–19 of the following work:

Tsunoda, Tasaku. 2020. Mermaid construction: An introduction and summary. In Tasaku Tsunoda (ed.), Mermaid construction: A compound-predicate construction with biclausal appearance, 1–62. Berlin & Boston: De Gruyter Mouton.

   If you would like to know more about this volume, please visit the following site:

https://www.degruyter.com/view/title/568273

Best wishes,

Tasaku Tsunoda

送信元: Lingtyp <lingtyp-bounces at listserv.linguistlist.org> (Dmitri Sitchinava <mitrius at gmail.com> の代理)