[Lingtyp] Definition of “personal pronoun"

Martin Haspelmath martin_haspelmath at eva.mpg.de
Fri Jul 9 12:57:27 UTC 2021

Dear all,

It’s actually very tricky to (retro-)define “pronoun” and related terms
in such a way that the definition corresponds to a large extent to the
legacy uses. Below I propose some definitions of ten terms that are
widely taken for granted. Can they be improved on? Four possible issues:

(i) There is no definition of the general term “pronoun” – I wouldn’t
know how to define it, other than by saying that the class comprises
personal, demonstrative, interrogative and indefinite pronouns.

(ii) Sebastian is right that people often use “pronoun” elliptically to
mean “personal pronoun”, but I find this usage confusing.

(iii) Possessive pronouns are sometimes taken to be on a par with
personal pronouns (especially in the well-known Indo-European
languages), but I think they are best thought of as a special subtype of
personal pronouns.

(iv) “Pronouns” are often taken to be “noun-like” (because of the
etymology of “pro-noun”), but I include interrogative adverbs like
“when” and demonstrative adverbs like “there” (following widespread
usage, also in my 1997 book “Indefinite pronouns”).

Best,
Martin

Am 09.07.21 um 11:29 schrieb Sebastian Nordhoff:
> Dear all,
> I think it is useful to have a look at the context in which "personal
> pronoun" is used. There is an opposition to "possessive pronoun",
> "reflexive pronoun" etc. So "personal pronoun" is the kind of pronoun
> which is not possessive, which is not reflexive and so on.
>
> If only "pronoun" is used, without further qualification, normally
> "personal pronoun" is intended. If someone says "The pronouns of
> language X and language Y are similar", the standard interpretation
> would be that this refers to personal pronouns, rather than to reflexive
> pronouns or the like.
>
> Sometimes it is important to clearly state that you are not interested
> in possessive/reflexive/interrogative pronouns. In those cases "personal
> pronoun" is used. I see this as a shorthand for "subject/object pronoun".
>
> Obviously, there are languages with very neat 2x3 paradigms, and there
> are languages where the paradigms are fuzzy at the edges and you get kin
> terms for reference and various politeness effects.
>
> If one sees "personal pronoun" as "subject/object pronoun", the question
> of whether a given form (eg in Korean) is actually third person becomes
> moot.
>
> So, the fact that we call a certain set of items "personal pronouns" is
> probably due to a) opposition to other categories and b) tradition. It
> should not be taken to imply that the category of "person" plays any
> role in there. (After all, possessive pronouns also encode person, but
> AFAICS they are normally not considered personal pronouns).
> Best wishes
> Sebastian

_11 proposed definitions_

A *possessive pronoun *(or adpossessive pronoun) is a personal pronoun
that is used in adnominal possessive function.

A *personal pronoun* is (i) a locuphoric form or (ii) an anaphoric form
that is not a noun and that can be used in a complement clause
coreferentially with a matrix argument.

A locuphoric form (= a locuphor) is a form that denotes the
speaker/producer or the hearer/comprehender speech role.

An *anaphoric form *(or anaphoric pronoun) is a form that is primarily
used for anaphoric reference.

A *demonstrative (form)* is a form that can be used to direct the
interlocutors’ joint focus of attention to entities in the discourse
situation.

A *demonstrative determiner* is a demonstrative that fulfills its
function by occurring next to a noun in a nominal expression.

A *demonstrative pronoun* is a demonstrative that forms a nominal or
adverbial expression by itself without a noun.

An *interrogative (form)* is a form that can be used to specify the open
parameter in a constituent question.

An *interrogative determiner* is an interrogative that fulfills its
function by occurring next to a noun in a nominal expression.

An *interrogative pronoun *is an interrogative that forms a nominal or
adverbial expression by itself without a noun.

A *reflexive pronoun *is an anaphoric form that signals coreference with
an antecedent in the same clause and that forms a nominal by itself (cf.
Haspelmath 2021).