[Lingtyp] Literature on 'already' > causal

Jess Tauber tetrahedralpt at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 15:59:42 UTC 2021

In Yahgan (a critically endangered genetic isolate from Tierra del Fuego
I've studied for more than 20 years) there is a form wa:ta 'already, old,
ancient' that might be etymologically relatable to the causal clause
enclitic mvtta 'because', (v is schwa, colon marks tenseness of the vowel
preceding it in my keyboard-friendly orthography). ma- is a passive-voice
prefix, which might be part of mvtta, which is enclitic on the first full
NP in the clause. Until your OP I don't think I'd ever thought of this
possible connection. Very interesting!

Jess Tauber

Virus-free.
www.avg.com