[Lingtyp] Is the connection between simplicity and intensity universal

Jess Tauber tetrahedralpt at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 01:00:50 UTC 2021

I've been working on a model of phonosemantics in natural languages (in
mimetic words primarily) and came to the realization last year (after 40
years of work on  many dozens of languages) that mimetic words operated as
if they were vectors (involving terms for force, direction, and other
physical qualities/quantities). If you aren't putting all your effort into
a single goal- that is, avoiding distractions or competing motivations,
then the resulting vector won't have as much force put into it- there will
be parasitic vectors emanating from the agent- for time, for goals, etc.
Very many mimetic words in various languages have terms that encode
(phonosemantically) for being 'off axis' (that is, indirective)- for
example when there is vacillation or oscillation that avoids the
lowest-energy state (think of a pendulum, for example)- the pendulum's
lowest position is when it is at rest- otherwise the downwards vertical
extent is less than maximal. Many different actions can go wide of the
mark, whether repetitively or not..

Jess Tauber