[Lingtyp] Metaphorical subject-object order in proverbs with parallel sentences

paolo Ramat paolo.ramat at unipv.it
Sat Jun 19 11:00:09 UTC 2021

Dear All,
I wouldn't like to enlarge the discussion to topics which are similar to
the debated question here (as it often happens in the linguistlist !).
However, the two nice examples from the  *Hitopadeśa *quoted by Siva Kalyan
seem very similar to the rhetorical figure called 'similitudo' (Engl.
*simile*), much used by poets from Homer on. Cp. Milton's *Paradise
Lost, *where
the source domain  (*the Wolf*) precedes the target domain (*the grand Thie*f):
precisely as 'tiger' and 'water'  precede  'person' and 'heart' in the
Korean proverbs .
*As* when a prowling Wolf,
Whom hunger drives to seek new haunt for prey,
. . . . . . .
*So *clomb this first grand Thief into God's Fold

Vergil and Dante are plenty of metaphorical similes introduced by *sicut X,
ita Y *and,respectively,* come X, così/similemente  Y *(as X, so /similarly
Y) Cp. *Parad*. 23, 1-10 etc.

Best,
Paolo

Prof. Dr. Paolo Ramat
Istituto Universitario Studi Superiori (IUSS Pavia) (retired)
Accademia dei Lincei, Socio corrispondente
'Academia Europaea'
'Societas Linguistica Europaea', Honorary Member
piazzetta Arduino 11 - I 27100 Pavia
##39 0382 27027
347 044 98 44