[Lingtyp] Double-marked passive

Hsiu-chuan Liao hcliao2 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 01:22:54 UTC 2021

Hi Ian,

I don't know where you get (3).  As a native speaker of Mandarin Chinese, I
do not think (3) is acceptable. Instead, the second *bei* should be
replaced by *gei* in order to become a grammatical sentence.

(3) Zhangsan bei-Lisi *bei-*da-le.
Zhangsan PASS-Lisi PASS-hit-PRF
`Zhangsan was hit by Lisi.'

Should be changed to:
Zhangsan bei-Lisi *gei*-da-le.
Zhangsan PASS-Lisi give-hit-PRF
`Zhangsan was hit by Lisi.'

Best,
Hsiu-chuan

On Sun, Feb 28, 2021 at 10:26 PM JOO, Ian [Student] <
ian.joo at connect.polyu.hk> wrote:

> Dear typologists,
>
> I wonder if you are aware of any language whose passive construction marks
> both the agent and the verb.
> For example, in Mandarin, the agent receives the passive marker *bei.*
>
> (1) Zhangsan bei-Lisi da-le.
> Zhangsan PASS-Lisi hit-PRF
> `Zhangsan was hit by Lisi.'
>
> When the agent is omitted, the verb receives *bei*.
>
> (2) Zhangsan bei-da-le.
> Zhangsan PASS-hit-PRF
> `Zhangsan was hit.'
>
> But, in some occasions, both the agent and the verb receive *bei*:
>
> (3) Zhangsan bei-Lisi bei-da-le.
> Zhangsan PASS-Lisi PASS-hit-PRF
> `Zhangsan was hit by Lisi.'
>
> Are you aware of any other language where a construction like (3) is
> possible?
> The only one I am aware of at the moment is Vietnamese.
> I would greatly appreciate any help.
>
> Regards,
> Ian
>

> *Disclaimer:*
>
> *This message (including any attachments) contains confidential
> information intended for a specific individual and purpose. If you are not
> the intended recipient, you should delete this message and notify the
> sender and The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (the University)
> immediately. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or
> the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited and may be
> unlawful.*
>
> *The University specifically denies any responsibility for the accuracy or
> quality of information obtained through University E-mail Facilities. Any
> views and opinions expressed are only those of the author(s) and do not
> necessarily represent those of the University and the University accepts no
> liability whatsoever for any losses or damages incurred or caused to any
> party as a result of the use of such information.*

Hsiu-chuan Liao, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Graduate Institute of Linguistics
National Tsing Hua University
101 Kuangfu Road, Sec. 2
Hsinchu 30013
TAIWAN
Tel: +886-3-571-5131 ext. 34445 (with answering machine)
Fax: +886-3-572-5994
e-mail: hcliao at faculty.hss.nthu.edu.tw             nthuworldlgs at gmail.com
website: http://homepage.ling.nthu.edu.tw/faculty/hcliao/index.html