[Lingtyp] word for "pitch" in languages across the world

Alex Francois alex.francois.cnrs at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 00:09:02 UTC 2021

hi Adam,

In Mwotlap (Oceanic, Vanuatu; non-tonal), the word for "pitch" or "melody"
is a noun *tiltil*.

This is initially a spatial metaphor:  the verb *til*
<https://marama.huma-num.fr/Lex/Mwotlap/t.htm#%E2%93%94til%E2%93%971> (whence
*tiltil *is derived by nominalization) has a polysemy
“be anchored (at sea);  be located somewhere;  orientate oneself in space”
— plus, a figurative use when referring to one's voice:
“orientate (o.'s voice) up or down”

The derivative noun *tiltil* thus has two meanings:  (1) directional
system;  (2) pitch, melody.
>> see the entry *tiltil*
<https://marama.huma-num.fr/Lex/Mwotlap/t.htm#%E2%93%94tiltil> in my online
Mwotlap dictionary: