[Lingtyp] word for "pitch" in languages across the world

Jess Tauber tetrahedralpt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 01:03:37 UTC 2021

In Yahgan (a critically endangered genetic isolate from Tierra del Fuego)
singing was relatively simple, involving no instruments except a beat of
some sort, and songs with nonsense syllables. The normal generic word of
'to sing, chant' was ta:pvlisana.(v is here schwa, and colon marks
tenseness of preceding vowel.  -ana is a verbalizer Then 'to sing with a
deep, steady, and lengthened strain' is u:tu:me:ata. Analysis of this form
is unclear. Normally u:- is a permissive-causative, and -ata is an
Aktsionart marker (semelfactive).

Jess Tauber