[Lingtyp] Double-marked passive

Martin Haspelmath martin_haspelmath at eva.mpg.de
Mon Mar 22 20:36:00 UTC 2021

In his 1994 paper "The pragmatics of de-transitive voice", T. Givón gave
a purely functional definition of "passive" that made no reference to
verbal marking: a construction in which "the patient is more topical
than the agent, and the agent is extremely non-topical" (contrasting
with "inverse voice", where the agent retains more topicality).

That was an interesting concept, but we simply don't use the term
"passive" in this way. Since Siewierska (1984) and Keenan (1985) at the
latest, there has been a widespread understanding of a passive
construction as involving P promotion and A demotion, plus verbal
marking. So this is actually a primarily formal definition. (In my 1990
paper on "passive morphology", I did not take the verb coding as
definitional and claimed that it was an empirical finding that it was
always there. But I now think it must be definitional, because
"A-demoting" constructions without verb coding are simply ergative
constructions.)

I think the verb coding has to be affixal, because otherwise we don't
know for sure that it's associated with the verb. Moreover, we want to
say that a passive construction is a "voice construction" (cf. Zúñiga &
Kittilä 2019), and voice alternations are best defined as valency
alternations with verb coding.

(I'm not sure about the notion of an "isolating" language; Chinese
certainly has a number of verbal affixes, and I don't know of a language
that lacks verbal affixation entirely; on the notion of "affix", see my
2021 paper in /Voprosy Jazykoznanija/: https://zenodo.org/record/4628279).

Best,
Martin