[Lingtyp] Morphologically complex clitics?

Bohnemeyer, Juergen jb77 at buffalo.edu
Wed Mar 31 13:23:10 UTC 2021

Dear Florian — I know next to nothing about Hittite. The one structural “fact” I happen to remember is that Hittite stacks clitics in Wackernagel’s position. I was waiting for somebody more competent to point this out, but since that hasn’t happened, here we are. Googling “Hittite clitics”  returns a bunch of hits, just from the top:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/1467-968X.12166?saml_referrer
http://linguistics.berkeley.edu/~garrett/garrett_1990_dissertation
https://www.jstor.org/stable/3515906?seq=1
https://brianagbayani.weebly.com/uploads/3/7/6/3/37638959/clitic_order_in_hittite_4.pdf

The second item is Andrew Garrett’s 1990 Harvard dissertation.

Best — Juergen

> On Mar 30, 2021, at 7:35 AM, florian.matter at isw.unibe.ch wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> I am looking for examples of morphologically complex clitics — i.e., g-words that a) do not form their own p-words and b) consist of multiple morphemes. Below are some of the few examples I have found. In (1-2), it is an encliticized copula which carries person inflection. In (3), the verb complex consists of a finite verb, a converb, and an auxiliary, each their own g-word. Both the finite verb and the auxiliary are inflected for first person and therefore morphologically complex.
>
> (1) Trió (Cariban)
>     əmamina-nə=pəə=w-a-e
>     play-INF=occ.with=1Sa-be-NPST.CERT
>     'I am playing' (Meira 1999: 180)
>
> (2) Ecuadorian Quechua
>     paj  mana wasi-bi=t͡ʃu=ga-n
>     3PRO NEG  house-LOC=NEG=be-3
>     'S/he is not at home.' (Muysken 2010: 197)
>
> (3) Nangikurrunggurr (Southern Daly)
>     jawul karicinmade ŋebem=wuɹic=ŋiɹim                catma
>     spear bent        1SG.S.bash.PRS=fix=1SG.S.sit.PRS straight
>     'I'm sitting straightening this bent spear.' (Reid 2003: 114)
>
> I am grateful for any further examples of such patterns, or references to literature on morphologically complex clitics.
>
> Best,
> Florian
>
> _____________________________
> Universität Bern
> Institut für Sprachwissenschaft
> Florian Matter
>
> Länggassstrasse 49
> CH-3012 Bern
> Tel. +41 31 631 37 54
> Raum B 168
> florian.matter at isw.unibe.ch
> http://www.isw.unibe.ch

Juergen Bohnemeyer (He/Him)
Professor, Department of Linguistics
University at Buffalo

Office: 642 Baldy Hall, UB North Campus
Mailing address: 609 Baldy Hall, Buffalo, NY 14260
Phone: (716) 645 0127
Fax: (716) 645 3825
Email: jb77 at buffalo.edu
Web: http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~jb77/

Office hours will be held by Zoom. Email me to schedule a call at any time. I will in addition hold Tu/Th 4-5pm open specifically for remote office hours.

There’s A Crack In Everything - That’s How The Light Gets In
(Leonard Cohen)