[Lingtyp] Morphologically complex clitics?

Martin Haspelmath martin_haspelmath at eva.mpg.de
Wed Mar 31 13:28:20 UTC 2021

But what exactly is "a clitic word"?

In Luganda, it may be uncontroversial that there are two words in
/e-bi-déé=by-a-nge/ 'my cups', because /by-aa-/ also occurs as a
proclitic elsewhere.

But in Quechua /wasi-bi-chu-ga-n/ 'is not at home', how do we know that
there is a "clitic word" /-chu/ and a "clitic word" /-ga-n/, rather than
three clitics /=chu/, /=ga/, and /=n/? Is this because /-ga-/ looks like
a "verb stem", and we have the idea that verbs are "inflected"?

Since Schiering et al. (2010) (doi:10.1017/S0022226710000216), it has
been widely known that "p-(rosodic) word" is not a generally applicable
notion, which casts even more doubt on the notion of "clitic word".

But if we consider items that are traditionally considered "clitics" in
European languages, it's really easy to find complex ones among the
bound person forms, e.g. French /l-e/l-a/l-es/, Italian /m-i/t-i/s-i/,
Greek /to-n/ti-n/tu-s/t-u/ti-s/, Bulgarian /n-i/v-i/g-i/.

Martin

Martin Haspelmath
Deutscher Platz 6
D-04103 Leipzig