[Lingtyp] A list of 50 basic sentences

Alex Francois alex.francois.cnrs at gmail.com
Sun May 9 11:42:37 UTC 2021

dear all,

As various people have pointed out, the idea of standardized questionnaires
for grammatical elicitation is far from new, and there have been many
valuable attempts already.
A rich selection of such questionnaires can be found on the homepage of the
CNRS Fédération *Typologie & Universaux du Langage* (TUL)
http://tulquest.huma-num.fr/en/node/9. The Questionnaire project, led
by Aimée Lahaussois (CNRS-HTL), has led to a dedicated website, and also to
a special volume of LD&C, with lots of relevant discussion:

   - Aimée Lahaussois & Marine Vuillermet (eds.), *Methodological Tools for
   Linguistic Description and Typology*. Special issue of *Language
   Documentation & Conservation* 16, 155-196.
   http://nflrc.hawaii.edu/ldc/sp16/

My own contribution to this volume was precisely motivated (among other
things) by the idea of creating parallel corpora for grammatical
elicitation and comparison.
I thus proposed *conversational questionnaires*: as a new tool:

   - François, Alexandre. 2019. A proposal for conversational questionnaires
   <http://alex.francois.online.fr/data/AlexFrancois_2019_Conversational-questionnaires_LDC-sp16.pdf>.

   In Aimée Lahaussois & Marine Vuillermet (eds.), *Methodological Tools
   for Linguistic Description and Typology*.
   Special issue of *Language Documentation & Conservation *16,
   155-196. [hdl:10125/24861
   <https://scholarspace.manoa.hawaii.edu/handle/10125/24861>]

(I sent this chapter to Ian yesterday in an offline message, and I just saw
that Ian sent it to the list – thanks Ian!)

A word of explanation:
I've used similar questionnaires in the field in Vanuatu and the Solomons
since 2003, and they've allowed me to efficiently collect data for
descriptive and comparative purposes. (Of course, in combination with the
recording of spontaneous speech in each language.) Some of my
questionnaires, or similar ones inspired by the method, have been also
successfully tested by students and colleagues in other locations.

One of the main concerns behind my proposal was the observation that
syntactic questionnaires based on isolated sentences (of the type "The bird
was eaten by the dog.') typically result in contrived and unnatural
the proposed translation is indeed communicatively / pragmatically
equivalent to the original. The conversational questionnaires I propose
focus on *idiomaticity*, which is one of my principal subjects of interest
in linguistics.  The idea is to elicit data using snippets of
quasi-naturalistic
conversation instead of isolated sentences, so as to emulate the natural
ecology of linguistic utterances, which after all is always dialogical.

Eg. Dialogue 3 (p. 183, "Seeing the doctor") has this sort of dialogue :

14. B – Does it hurt during the day? or only at night?

15. A – Mostly at night. I don’t know why.

16. Doctor, I’m a bit worried: what is going on?

17. B – Did you eat anything particular lately?

18. A – Hm, let me remember… No, I don’t think so.

19. Oh wait, actually yes I did!

20. Last week, my child came back from the forest

with some strange fruit I had never seen.

21. He gave them to me, for me to try.

22. B – Did you?

23. A – Yes I did. Actually I liked it, it was sweet. I ate many of them.

24. But then, I became sick after that.

This method is not perfect of course, and some of the issues usually raised
by elicitation in general are still relevant;   in terms of idiomaticity,
of course nothing beats actual spontaneous speech!  But then, spontaneous
speech is, by essence, difficult to channel into a system of parallel
corpora.

The chapter discusses some of the issues, weighs the pros and cons of
conversational questionnaires. On pp.171 sqq (“Conversational
questionnaires as parallel corpora”) I specifically discuss the possible
contribution of such questionnaires to linguistic typology.  Thus, if
dialogue D3 above were to be translated into many languages, sentence #20
could be taken as a data point for relative clauses (*some strange fruit I
had never seen*);  #21 would elicit one type of purposive clause;  etc.

As I wrote yesterday to Ian in my offline message:

"By going in the form of entire "conversations" (albeit scripted ones), you
increase the chance of responses to be more idiomatic;  and also, you give
your consultant more time to mentally elaborate a situation that may be
conducive to the sort of construction you're looking for.
For example, a passive voice is very difficult to elicit in an isolated
sentence, and I really advise my students against trying that;  but a
dialogue allows you to construct a whole situation where some participants
are pragmatically backgrounded vs. others foregrounded, etc;  so you can
create the typical discourse context in which a passive voice would be
idiomatically used, if it exists in the language.  An isolated sentence
will never give you that."

The corpus of dialogues, of which I propose five samples in the chapter,
would be meant to grow as more and more linguists elaborate similar
questionnaires along the same principles.  We could create a database of
such questionnaires:  the database would grow as we add more
questionnaires, and also as we add more and more translations into
languages of the world.

best,
Alex
------------------------------