[Lingtyp] Interleaving/scrambling of clauses

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Tue May 11 22:18:22 UTC 2021

Dear Dmitry,

The recognition of cross-clause scrambling as such is notoriously
analysis dependent.  Consider "NEG-raising", as in

(1) I don't believe that he will come
(understood as 'I believe that he will not come')

Under some analyses, the negative /not/ "really belongs" in the embedded
clause, even though it appears in the matrix clause — which would make
it a case of what you're looking for.  Though under alternative
analyses, "it is where it actually shows up", and the "NEG-raising"
reading is due to a pragmatic implicature.

I suspect that there will be lots of cases like this, where an element
appears to be in the "wrong" place due to analysis-specific
expectations, which are often an artifact of how the sentence is
translated into the linguist's own language (English, Russian ...), in
which the corresponding element shows up in a different place.

Best,

David

On 11/05/2021 19:55, Dmitry Nikolaev wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Numerous examples have been reported in the literature of
> "scrambling"/interleaving of syntactic constituents. My question is
> whether cases have been reported where interleaved elements belong to
> different clauses, e.g. of an element from the matrix clause situated
> inside a subordinate clause or of same-level subordinate clauses being
> interleaved.
>
> Regards,
> Dmitry

David Gil

Senior Scientist (Associate)
Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History
Kahlaische Strasse 10, 07745 Jena, Germany

Email: gil at shh.mpg.de
Mobile Phone (Israel): +972-526117713
Mobile Phone (Indonesia): +62-81344082091