[Lingtyp] terminological question about intransitive verbs

Martin Haspelmath martin_haspelmath at eva.mpg.de
Wed May 12 13:24:07 UTC 2021

I don't think there's anything wrong with "actor-holding -
undergoer-holding", but why not simply "agentive – patientive"?

The term pair "actor/undergoer" was coined by Foley & Van Valin (1984:
§2.1) in order to have a way to generalize over the following kinds of
situations:

/Colin (A) killed the taipan (U)./
/The avalanche (A) crushed the cottage (U)./
/The dog (A) sensed the earthquake (U)./

Van Valin also used "Actor" and "Undergoer" for two types of Lakota
single-argument verbs, but it is well-known that there's a wide range of
ways in which languages can have multiple valency constructions for
single-argument verbs.

For example, Russian has some single-argument verbs that take an
Accusative argument (/menja tošnit/ 'I.ACC feel sick') and others that
take a Dative argument (/mne nezdorovitsja/ 'I.DAT feel sick'). Are both
these valency classes "undergoer-holding"? Or maybe "actor-holding"
because experiencers are sentient and therefore more like agents?

So for the stereotypical subdivision of single-argument verbs ("active –
inactive" in Klimov 1977), maybe "agentive – patientive" is the best choice?

Best,
Martin

Am 12.05.21 um 12:24 schrieb Christian Lehmann:
> The only or direct actant of an intransitive verb may be its actor
> (/run/) or its undergoer (/die/). This may be taken to be a feature of
> the verb's valency. There are then two valency classes of intransitive
> verbs. I know of the following terms for these:
>
> active - inactive (Klimov)
> agentive - non-agentive
> unergative - unaccusative (Perlmutter)
>
> All of these pairs have terminological or conceptual problems (which I
> can name if desired). I have therefore been looking for better terms.
> I had called them
> actor-oriented - undergoer-oriented.
> However, I need the term 'oriented' in verbal grammar in a different
> sense, so I have to replace these. Currently, I call them
> actor-holding - undergoer-holding
> Not particularly elegant, are they?
>
> Are there good terms on the linguistic market (of the past two
> centuries) for what is meant by the above? Or failing this, brilliant
> neologisms?
>
> Grateful for suggestions,
> Christian
> --