[Lingtyp] Term for “non-pronominal anaphora"

paolo Ramat paolo.ramat at unipv.it
Sun May 30 17:37:58 UTC 2021

I agree with Bill: "anaphora" does not refer only to "pronouns" or
"pro-forms". In a sentence such as *The jury found him guilty and the
verdict shocked him deeply*  'the verdict' refers anaphorically (= looking
backwards)  to what has been said  in the first coordinated sentence. On
the contrary, *The verdict of the jury was: he is guilty *. 'the verdict'
is in cataphoric (=looking forwards) position.
I think that if we consider anaphora and cataphora together, we can get a
better understanding of both.

Paolo

Mail
priva di virus. www.avast.com
<#m_6276747821525630817_m_2116705858491049862_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Il giorno dom 30 mag 2021 alle ore 15:48 William Croft <wcroft at unm.edu> ha
scritto:

> Dear all,
>
>    I find the definition of "anaphora" implied in Ian's post to presuppose
> a theory of anaphora that not everyone, certainly not myself, agrees with.
> Namely, that anaphora only happens across sentences, and/or the only
> strategy for anaphora are "pronouns" or "pro-forms". Both of these
> assumptions have been debated, and there are different theories; see Croft
> (2013) and references cited therein. I think "anaphora" as a comparative
> concept should be defined more broadly -- as I think it generally is -- to
> accommodate different theories about the possible form of anaphoric
> expressions, and their possible distribution.
>
> Bill
>
> Croft, William. 2013. “Agreement as anaphora, anaphora as coreference.” *Languages
> across boundaries: studies in memory of Anna Siewierska*, ed. Dik Bakker
> and Martin Haspelmath, 107-29. Berlin: De Gruyter Mouton.

<#m_6276747821525630817_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>