[Lingtyp] Grammaticalization of 1SG verb forms

Anna Margetts anna.margetts at monash.edu
Sat Nov 13 07:54:02 UTC 2021

Hi David and Aigul,

I'd consider the 1sg use for the protagonist of a story a feature of
what Wolfson
(1978) calls “performed narratives”. For Papuan Malay, Kluge (2014) also
describes a related use of 2nd person pronouns where they function to mark
“a sudden emotional impetus”. This is an example of what Longacre (1983)
describes as person shift a narrative peak. Saliba-Logea (Oceanic, PNG)
shows the same phenomenon: a shift to 2nd person pronouns when referring to
a 3rd person character in a narrative, e.g. when introducing climactic
events. I am not aware of other languages of New Guinea doing this, but I
have seen similar examples with 1st or 2nd person, e.g. in Goemai (Chadic
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=ank>), Kɔnni (Gur),
and Dogrib (Athabaskan). This is also related to the narrative imperatives
(the “abruptness” use Agul mentioned) found in Slavic, some other Balkan
languages, North-Eastern Neo-Aramaic and Arabic among others (references in
Margetts 2015).

In most cases these pronominal uses are basically stylistic, rhetorical
devices but in some languages these uses constitute grammatically distinct
constructions. E.g. in Saliba-Logea the 2nd person is co-referential with a
lexical NP which can take a determiner and this combo of markers is not
grammatically sanctioned in contexts other than narrative peak.

Regards,
Anna

Kluge, Angela. 2015. A grammar of Papuan Malay. *Wacana: Journal of the
Humanities of Indonesia* 16(1). 211–232.

Longacre, Robert E. 1983. *The grammar of discourse*. New York: Plenum.

Margetts, Anna. 2015. Person shift at narrative peak. *Language* 91(4).
755–805.

Wolfson, Nessa. 1978. A feature of performed narrative: The conversational
historical present. *Language in society* 7(02). 215–237.