[Lingtyp] R: Folk definition of “word”

Elisa Roma frisella at iol.it
Mon Nov 29 11:46:21 UTC 2021

Dear Colleagues,

thank you very much for this interesting discussion.

I would like to add a reference about the European writing and word-division tradition, a paper which deals with measures of spaces in medieval manuscripts:

Bronner, Dagmar, Busch, Nathanael, Fleischer, Jürg and Poppe, Erich. "(Non-)separation of words in early medieval Irish and German manuscripts and the concept “word”". Empirical Approaches to the Phonological Structure of Words, edited by Christiane Ulbrich, Alexander Werth and Richard Wiese, Berlin, Boston: De Gruyter, 2018, pp. 45-70. https://doi.org/10.1515/9783110542899-003

On a different issue, in order to explain to my students how, broadly speaking, the abjad writing system works, I have tried to write Italian sentences omitting grammatical morphemes (which may be word-final vowels, for example) and the result is in many cases comprehensible to a native speaker (while it would hardly if omitting vowels altogether). This exercise (writing one’s own language using a different writing system or a given convention) could perhaps also a be a useful experiment, albeit not simple to pursue, with speakers, readers and writers of different languages. It would probably tell more about writing and reading than about wordhood, though, as in the case of written borrowings. The issue of the separation of units is also very much relevant to word processors and spell-checkers, I suppose.

All the Best,

Elisa

Elisa Roma

Associate professor of Linguistics