[Lingtyp] R: Folk definition of “word”

Chao Li chao.li at aya.yale.edu
Mon Nov 29 16:38:15 UTC 2021

Ian wrote, "I would like to examine whether wordhood is a psychological
reality shared by speakers of different languages." As far as Chinese is
concerned, there appears to be good reasons to believe that the word has
its psychological reality in Chinese speakers' minds even though Chinese
orthography does not separate words. One piece of important evidence comes
from disyllabic forms that are represented and processed as gestalt units
in speakers' minds (for experimental evidence, see, for example,  Taft &
Zhu 1997 and Zhou & Marslen-Wilson 1994, 1995; also, it is worth nothing
that the experimenters' notion of "compound" is broad in scope and is not
limited to those cases of two or more existing words together forming
another word).

(1)   a. 衬衣 chènyī ‘shirt’        b. 手机 shǒujī ‘cell phone’
       c. 月亮 yuèliang ‘moon’    d. 长城 Chángchéng ‘the Great Wall’
       e. 明天 míngtiān ‘tomorrow’       f. 聚会 jùhuì ‘gathering’
       g. 调查diàochá ‘to investigate’   h. 庆祝qìngzhù ‘to celebrate’
        i. 高兴gāoxìng ‘happy’               j. 漂亮 piàoliang ‘pretty,
beautiful’

Taft, Marcus & Xiaoping Zhu. 1997. Using masked priming to examine lexical
storage of Chinese compound words. In Hsuan-Chih Chen (ed.), *Cognitive
Processing of Chinese and Related Asian Languages*, 233-242. Hong Kong:
Chinese University Press.

Zhou, Xiaolin & William Marslen-Wilson. 1994. Words, morphemes and
syllables in the Chinese mental lexicon. *Language and Cognitive Processes*
9(3): 393-422.

Zhou, Xiaolin & William Marslen-Wilson. 1995. Morphological structure in
the Chinese mental lexicon. *Language and Cognitive Processes* 10(6):
545-600.

Best regards,
Chao