[Lingtyp] Intensification and causation

tangzhengda tangzhengda at 126.com
Sun Oct 17 03:35:17 UTC 2021

Hi Jesse,

Thank you so much for the reply!
In the Guanzhong dialects of Shaanxi Province (陕西关中方言) there are actually two sorts of 'Adj.-de-hen得很', one with hen很  stressed and elongated in articulation, which is the canonical intensified AP, used only in main clauses as exclamatives. The other, with hen很  in neutral tone, is used as the 'causing state' with a negative effect indispensable. And this intensification-as-causer construction, interesting enough, allow only those 'negative-side adjectives' such as 'bad', 'skinny' or those dimension-associated adjectives such 'long/short' 'heavy/light', but never 'positive' ones such as 'good', 'agreeable', etc.and can never be an exclamative, The two variations are complementary, never overlapped.

As for 'tai-A-le太A了',it can be ambiguous between an exclamation and an 'excessively A' (complaining, e.g.), dependent on discourse situations.

Best,
Jeremy

--

唐正大
中国社会科学院语言研究所《中国语文》编辑部

Institute of Linguistics, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences,
No.5 Jianguomennei Dajie, Beijing, China; 100732