[Lingtyp] instant resumption

Randy LaPolla randy.lapolla at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 16:19:47 UTC 2021

Hi Christian,
This sounds similar to a construction found in some Old Chinese texts.
There were actually two versions, where one might talk about a fronted
patient that then is followed by what we usually just call a resumptive
pronoun, and where there has clearly been no so-called movement, but again
the full reference is followed by a resumptive pronoun. This is understood
to be a sort of contrastive focus. e.g.

知之為知之,不知為不知,是知也 《為政》17
zhī zhī wéi zhī zhī, bù zhī wéi bù zhī, shì zhì yě
know this be know this not know be not know THIS knowledge ASSERTIVE
PARTICLE
(rough translation): knowing you know this and knowing you don't know this,
THIS is knowledge. (Confucian Analects, Wei Zheng, line 17)

余必臣是助 《昭公二十二年》
yú   bì      chén      shì    zhù
1sg must minister THIS help
I will certainly help my ministers/subjects. (Zuo Zhuan, Zhao Gong year 22,
line 2)

All the best,
Randy
——
Professor Randy J. LaPolla(罗仁地), PhD FAHA
Center for Language Sciences
Institute for Advanced Studies in Humanities and Social Sciences
Beijing Normal University, Zhuhai Campus
A302, Muduo Building, #18 Jinfeng Road, Zhuhai City, China

邮编:519000
广东省珠海市唐家湾镇金凤路18号木铎楼A302
北京师范大学珠海校区
人文和社会科学高等研究院