[Lingtyp] instant resumption

Christian Lehmann christian.lehmann at uni-erfurt.de
Mon Sep 20 16:22:00 UTC 2021

Thank you everybody for your helpful contributions to my problem. Let me
start by asking those of you who mentioned relevant publications to
concede me a PDF if they have it. (An emeritus no longer has that easy
access to library services.)

Far from wanting to terminate the discussion at this point, let me take
up some issues that have been raised and we might wish to pursue. Since
some of the interventions appear to make slightly different conceptual
presuppositions, I ask for your indulgence for defining some concepts
just to make sure that we are not talking past each other.

Disregarding first and second person pronouns, the distinction between a
pronoun and a determiner is essentially not a semantic one, i.e. it does
not (necessarily) involve the morphosemantic features (like
demonstrative, interrogative etc.) marked on these formatives, but is
just merely a structural one: a pronoun can represent an NP, a
determiner is a constituent of an NP. (Both of these definitory
stipulations need some refinement, which we can forego here.) Many
proforms, including importantly demonstratives in many languages, have
both uses. This is also the case in Cabecar.

Some demonstrative pronouns may be used as an anaphor. Where there is a
deictic paradigm of demonstratives, usually not just any demonstrative
can serve as an anaphor. Commonly it is an unmarked member of the
paradigm, typically the one that some of us call medial. This is, again,
the case in Cabecar. Sometimes (not in Cabecar), both ‘this’ and ‘that’
can take up referents of the preceding context.

Now if such a demonstrative appears at the margin of an NP, the problem
arises whether it is a pronoun or a determiner. If determiners have a
fixed position other than at the end of the NP, a demonstrative
appearing in that position cannot be a determiner. That is, again, the
case in Cabecar.

Besides demonstratives, third person pronouns can serve in intraclausal
anaphora. In my previous post, I silently presupposed that they, too,
can be used as instant resumptives (though not in Cabecar). The
conditions under which one or the other is used are a topic for an
entire workshop.

@ Stef, Edoardo, Yury:

There are different processes of intraclausal anaphora. Only instant
resumption leads to an appositional construction. Another possibility is
for an anaphoric or personal pronoun to attach to the dependency
controller and then develop into a pronominal index or referentiality
marker. Such personal pronouns are typically clitic. The Cabecar
demonstrative is definitely not clitic. On the contrary, it serves as a
prop for clitics.

The Koine personal pronoun in the relative clause is superficially
another case of intraclausal anaphora. However, I think it first of all
represents the domain nominal inside the relative clause, thus
introducing a new relativization strategy which, in Modern Greek, is to
supersede the relative pronoun strategy.

@ Randy:

The two Old Chinese examples do look similar to the Cabecar case. The
Cabecar resumptive has focus in some, but not in all cases. It also
follows second mentions (instead of replacing them). Interestingly,
Cabecar /jé/does not develop into a copula. Instead, it takes an
existent copula-like formative as enclitic. I will probably soon launch
another post on this formative, which also functions as an
information-structure articulator.

@ Marianne:

I have too few recordings to tell for sure. The following seems to be
the case: The resumptive can always combine with the antecedent into one
phonological word. With left-dislocation, however, it may optionally
follow a hanging intonation plus pause, as in many other languages.

@ Zygmunt. Matthew, James:

Some of you mention demonstratives following different kinds of nominal
expressions. Assume the language in question has postnominal
determiners. One criterion for distinguishing resumptive pronouns from
determiners here is the completeness of the paradigm: If it comprises
all of the deictic values present in demonstratives, the formative in
question is probably a determiner. If the formative that can appear in
that position reduces to the anaphoric member of the paradigm, it is
probably a resumptive pronoun.

This regards, in particular, proforms following relative clauses. In the
spirit of the discussion with Jürgen [next], it seems quite possible to
me that a “recapitulating” pronoun serving the following context as a
point of reference for the preceding relative clause may be especially
necessary for such constructions whose nominal nature is not
sufficiently explicit.

@ Matthew:

In the example about /those people who have not …/, /those/is clearly a
determiner. I would guess it emphasizes the formation of a subset (or in
the singular, the singling out of an individual).

@ Jürgen [sent directly to me]:

Some formatives which combine with nominal expressions may have
distributional restrictions in the sense that they do not combine
directly with nominalized clauses. In English, e.g., most prepositions
do not govern a /that/ clause. Cabecar postpositions do not have such a
problem. They simply follow what happens to be the last constituent of a
nominalized clause. Still, it may be true that instant resumption is the
more preferred the more complex a nominal expression is and the less its
nominal nature is transparent. The neutral demonstrative may be some
kind of NP /par excellence/, something that stands for the pure category
‘NP’. It represents its antecedent qua nominal expression for the
context, and that is what it does as an instant resumptive. (Discourse
is full of grammatical formatives which do nothing but redundantly
signal the grammatical category of something which belongs to that
category, anyway.)

@ Don:

These data do look similar to the Cabecar case. However, assume there is
such a thing as instant resumption as characterized before. Then the
question arises whether it is a possible cradle for the development of
determiners, as some had assumed formerly for Cabecar. You then need to
answer at least two questions:

  *

    What happens to the semantic determination (or referentiality) of
    the NP once the demonstrative becomes its determiner? Instant
    resumption – at least in Cabecar – is possible with semantically
    indefinite antecedents, as in “fruits, cereals, cabbage, that we
    grow” [real example]. The resumptive is necessarily definite. Once
    it is converted into a determiner, the NP would then be definite.

  *

    How does the entire deictic or referential paradigm of postnominal
    determiners arise? The resumptive is definite and deictically
    neutral. How do indefinite proforms and demonstratives with
    different deictic features join the paradigm of determiners?

My inability to answer these questions has led me to despair about the
hypothesis that the prenominal determiners of Cabecar are being replaced
by postnominal ones or, more generally, that postnominal determination
may arise through the grammaticalization of intraclausal anaphors.

Now on your questions:

  *

    Instant resumption in Cabecar is indifferent to the referentiality
    of the antecedent. It is also indifferent to its topic/focus
    distinction, with one exception: it does not follow the third person
    pronoun, which presupposes givenness of its referent.

  *

    The resumptive, not the antecedent, carries the plural suffix and
    the postposition, if any, that would attach to the antecedent if
    there were no resumptive. However, such contextual circumstances are
    neither a necessary nor a sufficient condition for the resumptive to
    occur.

  *

    The phonological conditions remain to be investigated.

  *

    The resumptive does follow first and second person pronouns,
    amazingly. This is one of the circumstances which make me diagnose
    an advanced degree of grammaticalization.

@ Julie:

Although a preposed demonstrative cannot originate by instant
resumption, the variation of prenominal vs. postnominal determiner does
raise the question of how these constructions and the sequential order
come about. The syntactic function of the determiner, i.e. the nature of
its syntactic relation to the lexical nominal expression, is possibly
unique in grammar. One symptom of it is the fact the noun phrase has
been renamed determiner phrase in certain quarters. It seems quite
possible to me that it starts out as an apposition of a demonstrative
pronoun and a lexical NP. Next thing we would want to know is what
determines which of the two comes first …

--

Prof. em. Dr. Christian Lehmann
Rudolfstr. 4

Tel.: 	+49/361/2113417