[Lingtyp] instant resumption

Julie Marsault julie.marsault at sorbonne-nouvelle.fr
Mon Sep 20 11:35:58 UTC 2021

Dear Christian, dear all,

There seems to be something similar to your examples in Umóⁿhoⁿ (or
"Omaha", Siouan). Appositions are  very frequent, most of them (but not
all) involve demonstrative "pronouns" (they are generally followed by
articles, it is not clear to me yet to which part of speech they belong),
and the antecedent can be a noun phrase or a relative clause (which, in
fact, may be analyzed as NPs because the same articles serve as determiners
after a noun and relativizer after a verb). Below are four examples from my
dissertation :

In (112) there is first a demonstrative + article, then a noun + article.
Example (113) is similar.
In (114) illustrates appositions where demonstratives are not involved
(unless we analyze the first *é *"this" as another apposition).
In (151) the demonstrative + article seems to be an apposition to the
unmarked relative clause "the people I see".

I have not analyzed the prosody with any particular software, but when I
hear the audio files, there is a pause between the different noun phrases
and relative clauses in apposition.

[image: image.png]
[image: image.png]
[image: image.png]