[Lingtyp] instant resumption

Dryer, Matthew dryer at buffalo.edu
Mon Sep 20 03:48:39 UTC 2021

Christian,

I think the phenomenon you refer to of languages where relative clauses are followed by demonstratives is unrelated to the phenomenon you are asking about. I have found many languages where demonstratives either obligatorily or optionally occur at the end of postnominal relative clauses. Even in those languages where it is optional, it is a distinct use of the demonstrative since it is neither exophoric nor anaphoric.

We actually have something vaguely similar in English, as in

Those people who have not been double vaccinated should be .....

This use of those in English is distinct from other uses in that it is neither anaphoric or exophoric and only occurs as far as I know in noun phrases containing relative clauses.

Matthew