[Lingtyp] Multidimensional transcription of tones

Adam James Ross Tallman ajrtallman at utexas.edu
Mon Sep 27 09:51:52 UTC 2021

Dear Ian,

I think even with distinctive features, there could be some doubt about
whether the symbols used by linguists are "cross-linguistically unified"
... See Mielke's
<https://linguistics.osu.edu/sites/linguistics.osu.edu/files/dissertations/mielke2004.pdf>
book

best,

Adam

On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 4:39 AM JOO, Ian [Student] <ian.joo at connect.polyu.hk>
wrote:

> Dear typologists,
>
> I was wondering why there isn’t a multidimensional way of transcribing
> tones, like how we transcribe segmental phonemes.
> For example, the transcription of the voiced bilabial stop (/b/) is based
> on multiple dimensions of phonological features, such as [+voiced, +labial,
> -nasal].
> But why are tones transcribed based on pitch only, such as Chao numbers
> (35), tone letters (˦˥), tone diacritics (´`¯ˆˇ), or capital letters
> (HMLRF), and not encoding other cues, like creakiness, length, tenseness,
> and intensity, when these cues may be just as distinctive as pitch is?
> In other words, why is there no such cross-linguistically unified symbol
> as to describe the [-long, +creaky, +loud, +high, +falling, +tense] tone of
> Burmese, when there is a cross-linguistically unified symbol to describe
> the [+voiced, +labial, -nasal] consonant of Burmese?
> I would like to know why this is the case.
>
> From Hong Kong,
> Ian
>

> *Disclaimer:*
>
> *This message (including any attachments) contains confidential
> information intended for a specific individual and purpose. If you are not
> the intended recipient, you should delete this message and notify the
> sender and The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (the University)
> immediately. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or
> the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited and may be
> unlawful.*
>
> *The University specifically denies any responsibility for the accuracy or
> quality of information obtained through University E-mail Facilities. Any
> views and opinions expressed are only those of the author(s) and do not
> necessarily represent those of the University and the University accepts no
> liability whatsoever for any losses or damages incurred or caused to any
> party as a result of the use of such information.*

Adam J.R. Tallman
Post-doctoral Researcher
Friedrich Schiller Universität
Department of English Studies