[Lingtyp] Multidimensional transcription of tones

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Mon Sep 27 12:45:28 UTC 2021

Dear Ian,

A fragment of the kind of "multidimensional" notational system that you
seek is actually provided by the standard orthography of Vietnamese,
where the diacritics over the vowels, representing the 6 tones of
Vietnamese, contain information involving not only pitch but also
phonation.  Of course, as things stand, the notation is
language-specific: what you are asking for is for it to be adopted
cross-linguistically, e.g. for a V with a dot under it to denote low
tone with creakiness not only in Vietnamese but for any other language
that has a similar clustering of pitch and creakiness.

However, for purely practical reasons, I suspect that the best way to
represent, say, low pitch plus creakiness, in a cross-linguistically
standardized  fashion, would still be compositionally, with a symbol for
low tone plus another symbol for creakiness.   You would of course still
be free to think of the juxtaposition of the two symbols as a kind of
"suprasegmental digraph".

David

On 27/09/2021 05:38, JOO, Ian [Student] wrote:
> Dear typologists,
>
> I was wondering why there isn’t a multidimensional way of transcribing
> tones, like how we transcribe segmental phonemes.
> For example, the transcription of the voiced bilabial stop (/b/) is
> based on multiple dimensions of phonological features, such as
> [+voiced, +labial, -nasal].
> But why are tones transcribed based on pitch only, such as Chao
> numbers (35), tone letters (˦˥), tone diacritics (´`¯ˆˇ), or capital
> letters (HMLRF), and not encoding other cues, like creakiness, length,
> tenseness, and intensity, when these cues may be just as distinctive
> as pitch is?
> In other words, why is there no such cross-linguistically unified
> symbol as to describe the [-long, +creaky, +loud, +high, +falling,
> +tense] tone of Burmese, when there is a cross-linguistically unified
> symbol to describe the [+voiced, +labial, -nasal] consonant of Burmese?
> I would like to know why this is the case.
>
> From Hong Kong,
> Ian
>

> /Disclaimer:/
>
> /This message (including any attachments) contains confidential
> information intended for a specific individual and purpose. If you are
> not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and notify
> the sender and The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (the University)
> immediately. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message,
> or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited and
> may be unlawful./
>
> /The University specifically denies any responsibility for the
> accuracy or quality of information obtained through University E-mail
> Facilities. Any views and opinions expressed are only those of the
> author(s) and do not necessarily represent those of the University and
> the University accepts no liability whatsoever for any losses or
> damages incurred or caused to any party as a result of the use of such
> information./

David Gil

Senior Scientist (Associate)
Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Deutscher Platz 6, Leipzig, 04103, Germany

Email: gil at shh.mpg.de
Mobile Phone (Israel): +972-526117713
Mobile Phone (Indonesia): +62-81344082091