[Lingtyp] Investigating Language Revitalization Activities during the COVID-19 Pandemic

Vasiliki Vita vv5 at soas.ac.uk
Mon Aug 8 15:30:47 UTC 2022

Greetings,

To what extent and how have endangered language communities been affected
by the Covid-19 pandemic? Typically, the most fluent speakers, holders of
linguistic and traditional knowledge, are of the oldest generation,
particularly vulnerable to Covid. In addition, minority communities are
frequently disadvantaged and suffer from high levels of poverty and health
problems such as diabetes. But communities also found imaginative ways to
continue language revitalisation. With this questionnaire we aim to compile
a collection of best practices on how endangered language revitalisation
activities managed to continue through the Covid-19 pandemic and how these
could inform ways of dealing with potential future crises. By focusing on
technology, we hope to discover ways that it could maintain, supplement
and/or create networks of individuals of all ages interested in partaking
in endangered languages revitalization activities and what implications
this might have on minimising the 'Digital Divide' in such activities.
There are no right or wrong answers. Your answers should be the ones that
are right for yourself. Participation is completely anonymous and
voluntary, but we would welcome the chance to talk to you further. Please
provide contact details if you would be interested in talking to us at the
end of the survey. Participation typically requires about 30 minutes. You
are free to stop participating in the survey at any time. Thank you for
taking the time to complete this questionnaire:
https://forms.office.com/r/AE210t6zQb. The deadline for answers is 31
August 2022. If you have any questions regarding this questionnaire,
contact Julia Sallabank at js72 at soas.ac.uk and Vasiliki Vita at
vv5 at soas.ac.uk.