[Lingtyp] futures vs perfects

Martin Haspelmath martin_haspelmath at eva.mpg.de
Tue Aug 9 13:16:21 UTC 2022

Thanks, Björn, for this interesting question – unfortunately, I am not
aware of any work that answers it.

There has been some quantitative work on stability (e.g. Dediu & Cysouw
2013 in PlosOne), but it seems that this work always concerns "language
traits", not particular constructions.

Lindstedt (2000) talks about gram types, which are construction-strategy
types (or types of markers), and the stability of these cannot be so
easily measured with the usual genealogy-based methods. If a language
always has a future tense form/construction, then it will be stable with
respect to the feature "is there a future tense construction?", but the
form of the construction may be unstable if there is frequent renewal
(e.g. Latin-Spanish canta-bo > canta-ré > voy a cantar 'I will sing').
Comparisons on the basis of language traits will simply overlook such
renewals.

On the other hand, one may take the perspective of a particular form
(e.g. the French avoir+participle periphrasis) and ask how quickly it
changes. But in order to compare such changes across languages, one
needs to identify comparable paths of change with respect to their
speed. This is hard, because it cannot be done on the basis of languages
whose earlier stages we know little about (i.e. the vast majority of
languages).

Lindstedt (2000) says that perfects are unstable, but on what basis? Has
there been any broadly comparative research on perfects since Dahl &
Velupillai (2005) in WALS? It seems that we don't really know much more
than we used to know two decades ago...

Best,
Martin