[Lingtyp] spectrograms in linguistic description and for language comparison

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Fri Dec 2 11:33:08 UTC 2022

Adam,

I share your qualms entirely.  In the first draft of a paper of mine now
about to appear (below), I argued for a phonemic tonal distinction
within a particular morphological paradigm in a certain language, and
the reviewers asked to see pitch tracks "in support" of my claim.  So I
included the pitch tracks, because I wanted the paper to be published
(plus they look pretty).  But I am painfully aware that the pitch tracks
don't prove anything, and that in claiming to do so, they are
potentially misleading.

I think the problem is more acute in the suprasegmental than in the
"regular" segmental domains.  If I had been arguing for a distinction
in, say, manner of articulation between voiced and unvoiced stops then
nobody would have asked for spectrograms.  So why are tone, intonation,
etc. treated differently?

David

Gil, David (2023) "The Grammaticalization and Dissolution of High
Extended Intonation: An Inalienable Possession Paradigm in Roon", in E.
Gasser and A. Schapper eds., Possessive Systems in Wallacea,
/Sprachtypologie und Universalienforschung./

On 02/12/2022 12:50, Adam James Ross Tallman wrote:
> Hello Cat,
>
> That's what I think as well,
>
> But I'm not so sure this view is widely held ... I've had papers where
> reviewers ask for "phonetic evidence" and what they seem to mean is a
> single spectrogram or pitch track as if those are informative by
> themselves - even aggregated statistical data of acoustic measurements
> doesn't count.
>
> Adam
>
> On Fri, Dec 2, 2022 at 11:41 AM Cat Butz <Cat.Butz at hhu.de> wrote:
>
>     Hi Adam,
>
>     if I saw a single spectrogram in a description of a phenomenon, I'd
>     assume it was there for illustrative purposes and nothing else. If
>     we're
>     going to conduct empirical research on a phonological phenomenon, we
>     have to back it up with statistics, no? Otherwise, why even bother?
>
>     Best,
>     ---
>     Cat Butz (she)
>     HHU Düsseldorf, general linguistics
>
>     Cat Butz (sie)
>     HHU Düsseldorf, allgemeine Sprachwissenschaft
>

>     Am 2022-11-27 11:24, schrieb Adam James Ross Tallman:
>     > Hello all,
>     >
>     > I would like to start a conversation about something and I’m taking
>     > a shot at lingtyp as a potential starting point for this discussion
>     > (perhaps not the right venue, because the issue is perhaps
>     specific to
>     > phonological typology).
>     >
>     > One thing I’ve been confused and/or frustrated about since I started
>     > investigating tone and stress has been the use of spectrograms
>     and/or
>     > pitch tracks in language description. It seems to me that linguists
>     > have very different views about what spectrograms and/or pitch
>     tracks
>     > are for, but it has never been brought out in the open, to my
>     > knowledge.
>     >
>     > When I was an MA student, I was basically taught that the main
>     purpose
>     > of a spectrogram was to show how one went about measuring some
>     > phenomena in the acoustic signal. A pitch track could be an
>     > expositional device to show variation in the signal perhaps
>     related to
>     > speaker differences or intonation (Cruz & Woodbury 2014). However,
>     > spectrograms and pitch tracks are not “phonetic evidence” for a
>     > phonological claim. Due to the variability of the phonetic signal,
>     > acoustic phonetic data only really becomes phonetic evidence when it
>     > is aggregated for the purpose of statistical analysis (Tallman
>     2010).
>     >
>     > At least that’s what I thought in 2011, but I realized later that
>     > this was not the view shared by many linguists and, at least among
> [...]

David Gil

Senior Scientist (Associate)
Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Deutscher Platz 6, Leipzig, 04103, Germany

Email:gil at shh.mpg.de
Mobile Phone (Israel): +972-526117713
Mobile Phone (Indonesia): +62-082113720302