[Lingtyp] spectrograms in linguistic description and for language comparison

Juergen Bohnemeyer jb77 at buffalo.edu
Fri Dec 2 14:52:14 UTC 2022

Dear Adam et al. – First, a couple of disclaimers:

  *   I don’t mean to hijack this important discussion. I just want to point out that from where I look at things, what you’re raising is a classic tip-of-the-iceberg problem.
  *   I suspect what I’m about to say isn’t going to win me any popularity contests around here 😉

And here it is: Contemporary descriptive and documentary linguistics has *no* standards or criteria, not even qualitative ones (whatever that might mean), for assessing how well the examples we use to illustrate the phenomena we document and describe represent the speech community, or indeed *which* community they represent.

None.

I’d like to call this practice “epistemological pretend-naivete”.

When people start using spectrograms or pitch tracks, which are meaningless unless interpreted quantitatively, like examples, the deficiencies of epistemological pretend-naivete become obvious.

But that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Even if it’s a pretty fat tip. The broader problem concerns the status of *all* the examples we cite, regardless of whether they concern phonetic, morphosyntactic, lexical, or ethnographic phenomena.

Now that much of linguistics is being dragged kicking and screaming into a quantitative turn, I think it’s way past time that we have a discussion of the status of examples in documentary and descriptive linguistics in general.

Best -- Juergen

Juergen Bohnemeyer (He/Him)
Professor, Department of Linguistics
University at Buffalo

Office: 642 Baldy Hall, UB North Campus
Mailing address: 609 Baldy Hall, Buffalo, NY 14260
Phone: (716) 645 0127
Fax: (716) 645 3825
Email: jb77 at buffalo.edu<mailto:jb77 at buffalo.edu>
Web: http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~jb77/

Office hours Tu/Th 3:30-4:30pm in 642 Baldy or via Zoom (Meeting ID 585 520 2411; Passcode Hoorheh)

There’s A Crack In Everything - That’s How The Light Gets In
(Leonard Cohen)